Six workers died due to poisonous gas leak at a private steel factory in Tadipatri of Andhra Pradesh’s Anantapur district on Thursday. “As per information, two workers died on the spot and four others in hospital. Carbon monoxide is the main gas used for reheating process and its leak caused the mishap,” the police officer said.
The mishap happened while testing was being done after maintenance work in the unit, District Superintendent of Police G Ashok Kumar said.
Meanwhile five more workers suffered serious health complications and were admitted to a local hospital. Two of them are said to be in a critical condition.
The workers who died were identified as B Ranganath (21), K Manoj Kumar (24), U Gangadhar (37), S A Wasim Basha (39), K Shiva Maddileti alias Lingaiah (26) and Guruvaiah (40).
Brazilian company Gerdau, one of the largest steel manufacturers in the America, owns the Tadipatri steel mill.