With the hearing in the politically sensitive Ram Janmabhoomi – Babri Masjid land dispute case at Ayodhya entering its final week on Monday, the administration has imposed Section 144 till December 10.
The Apex Court will resume proceedings on the 38th day of the case after a week-long Dussehra break.
Ayodhya District Magistrate Anuj Kumar Jha said that the decision was taken in view of the upcoming festivals.
“The order has been issued considering safety and security of Ayodhya and those visiting here as Govt’s paramount concerns,” Jha had earlier tweeted.
The District Magistrate said a similar order has been in force since August 31, 2019 covering aspects of unlawful assemblies and undesirable activities and the current order was issued to cover a couple of points not there in the earlier order.
“I must add that already there is another order in force since 31.08.2019 covering aspects of unlawful assemblies and undesirable activities. The order dated 12.10.2019 has been issued to cover a couple of points which were not there in the earlier order,” Jha had tweeted.
A five-judge Constitution bench headed by the Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi started day-to-day proceedings on August 6 after mediation proceedings failed to find an amicable solution to the dispute.
“Mediation didn’t result in any kind of settlement,” CJI had said.
Fourteen pleas have been filed in the apex court against the 2010 Allahabad High Court order, delivered in four civil suits, that the 2.77-acre land in Ayodhya be partitioned equally among the three parties — the Sunni Waqf Board, the Nirmohi Akhara and Ram Lalla.