While counting is still going on, results of by-elections to four Lok Sabha seats and 10 assembly constituencies, including Kairana, Bhandara-Gondiya, Palghar, will be declared on May 31. Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) got a major setback in Kairana region in Uttar Pradesh as Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) candidate Tabassum Hasan has taken a massive lead of nearly 26,000 votes against Mriganka Singh of the BJP.
“BJP unnecessarily raked up the issue of Muhammad Ali Jinnah in the run up to the Kairana Lok Sabha bypolls. The ruling party tried to divert the attention of people and mislead them. Credit of my performance goes to the people of the country and the alliance between the opposition parties,” said Tabassum Hasan.
Following the failure of EVM-VVPAT voting machines during the by-election on May 28, repolling was scheduled on May 30 at 73 booths in Kairana Lok Sabha constituency. Repolling witnessed voter turnout of around 61 percent.
Updates on By-poll
- NCP is leading against the BJP in Bhandara-Gondia Lok Sabha seat in Maharashtra
- SP leading in Noorpur, Uttar Pradesh
- The BJP wins in Palghar Lok Sabha seat in Maharashtra
- BJP’s ally Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party is leading in Nagaland
- BJP is leading in Uttarakhand’s Tharali
- BJP is leading in Jharkhand’s Gomia
- RJD beats BJP’s ally Janata Dal (United) in Jokihaat, Bihar
- Congress has won Palus-Kadegaon assembly bypoll
- Communist Party of India (Marxist)’s Saji Cheriyan is leading in Chengannur
- Trinamool Congress widens lead in Maheshtala, West Bengal
- In Palus-Kadegaon (Maharashtra), Vishwajeet Kadam of the Congress was elected unopposed after the BJP withdrew its candidate from the fray
- In Ampati (Meghalaya), Miani D. Shira of Congress, daughter of former Meghalaya CM Mukul Sangma, wins by a margin of approx 3,191 votes.