The Vice-Chancellors/Directors from more than 350 universities are participating in the event.
This event is being organized jointly by ICSSR, UGC, AICTE, IGNCA, JNU, IGNOU and SGT University.
While addressing the people at the event, Modi said, the aim of education is an overall and balanced development of a person and this is not possible without innovation. He said, ancient Indian universities like Takshila, Nalanda and Vikramshila used to stress on innovations. Prime Minister said, knowledge and education cannot be gained only through books.
“Students should learn from their surroundings in place of just sticking to their textbooks,” he added.
The Prime Minister called upon academics to not only impart education in classrooms of colleges and universities but connect their students with the aspirations of the country. Modi further said, higher education should equip students with high thinking, dignified behaviour and capability to solve the problems being faced by the society.
“Sixty universities or institutions of higher learning have been given graded autonomy to improve the standard of education in the country. What needs to be done right now is that we get the best teachers for the students which will finally help in the development and growth of the country.” Modi said.
It covered eight thematic areas namely:
- Improving pedagogy for learner centric education – use of artificial intelligence for customized learning
- From job seeking to job creating – improving innovation and entrepreneurship
- Improving quality of research – focus on requirements of India
- Bringing synergy among educational institutions – pooling of academic resources like sharing of libraries and exchange of knowledge
- Building inclusive and integrated campuses – taking up activities which could bring emotional attachments of students to the campus
- Participatory Governance models – facilitating participation of students in governance processes
- Building robust financial models – supplementing Government resources by getting funds from alumni and also from corporate (CSR)
- Promoting value education by building in universal values and life skills into education.