Kerala: Ambulance catches fire as oxygen cylinder bursts

350
Representational Image

A 108 service ambulance caught fire in front of Champakulam Government Hospital in Alappuzha on Wednesday.

The patient inside the ambulance was quickly shifted from the ambulance to another vehicle before it burst into flames but 66-year-old Mohanan Nair, died on the way to hospital.

The nurse, who was with the patient and ambulance driver sustained injuries.

A car, an auto rickshaw, four motorbikes and a shop caught fire. “Nair had a breathing problem after which he was taken to the Chambakkulam government hospital. The doctor directed the relatives to take him to another hospital as there was no IP unit there,” Police said.

As per the reports, the fire broke out in the ambulance as a nurse tried to connect the oxygen cylinder which led to a spark, causing minor injuries to the nurse and Mohanan Nair.

He was immediately removed from the ambulance and shifted to another vehicle but died on the way.