Congress president Rahul Gandhi along with former prime minister Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and P Chidambaram on Tuesday released the party’s manifesto titled ‘Hum Nibhayenge’ for 2019 Lok Sabha polls.
The Congress Party said they are proud to announce that they have launched party’s 2019 Manifesto for the ensuing Lok Sabha elections.
The party has promised to fill 22 lakh government vacancies by 2020.
Farmers who default on loans would not be sent to jail as it will not be a criminal but civil offence, Rahul said.
6 per cent of the GDP will be spent on education while steps will be taken to strengthen public health, says Congress president.
The abolition of poverty remains the foremost goal of Congress in its manifesto.
The Congress-led UPA government lifted 14 crore people out of poverty between 2004 and 2014, it said.
Congress has set the goal of elimination of abject poverty by the year 2030.
The Congress said that the size of India’s GDP and the level of Total Expenditure (Central and State Governments) allow them to undertake an ambitious programme of cash transfer to the poorest sections of the people, without, in any way, affecting the goal of fiscal prudence. The main features of the Minimum Income Support Programme (MISP) or Nyuntam Aay Yojana (NYAY) will be:
- The target population will be 5 crore families who constitute the poorest 20 per cent of all families. They will be the beneficiaries of MISP or NYAY;
- Each family will be guaranteed a cash transfer of Rs. 72,000 a year;
- As far as possible, the money will be transferred to the account of a woman of the family who has a bank account, or who will be urged to open a bank account;
- There will a Design Phase (3 months), followed by Pilot and Testing Phases (6-9 months) before the rollout;
- The rollout will be implemented in phases;
- The estimated cost will be <1 per cent of GDP in Year 1 and <2 per cent of GDP in Year 2 and thereafter;
- As the nominal GDP grows and families move out of poverty, the cost will decline as a proportion of GDP.
The Congress goal in its manifesto stated that ‘No Indian Family Shall Be Left Behind.
“When we started the process for manifesto a year back, I gave 2 instructions- it should reflect the wishes of the people of India and it should be truthful,” said Rahul Gandhi.
Congress party said, “justice, Freedom, Progress, Security, Dignity & Unity – this is the idea of India, this is the idea of Congress.”