Around 18 people died in massive fire broke out in the sanitizer manufacturing factory in Maharashtra’s Pune on Monday, 7 June.
The incident happened in Pirangut town of Pune at 3:45 pm, when around 37 employees had been working inside the unit. Around 20 workers were rescued and search for missing workers is ongoing.
According to the sources “The fire broke out due to a spark in the packaging section. As there was plastic all around, so it spread rapidly.” Authorities had to break the walls of the premises to rescue the trapped civilians. Most of the dead were residents of Mulshi taluka.
The Deputy Chief Minister and district guardian minister Ajit Pawar said the state government will pay Rs 5 lakh each to the victims’ families.
Meanwhile, Pune district collector Rajesh Deshmukh ordered an investigation into the incident and said, “We shall wait for the enquiry panel’s preliminary report before further action.” For now, a case of accidental death has been registered.