The offensive was launched in the two districts on the night of March 31 and it continued until late April 1 afternoon. Officials said that among 13 terrorists killed, 11 have been identified so far and all of them were locals and four civilians and three army personnel were also killed during the operation.
One of the 13 militants was killed in Dialgam of South Kashmir’s Anantnag District, seven others in Draggad and five in the Kachdooru area of Shopian District. The militants who were killed during the operation included those responsible for the brutal killing of Lieutenant Umar Fayaz.
Meanwhile, the separatist leaders under the banner of Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) comprising Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik, have called for a two-day shutdown, JRL spokesman has confirmed.
Following a strike call was given by separatist the authorities have suspended internet and train services and even imposed restrictions in areas under seven police stations in Srinagar on April 2 in order to maintain law and order in the city.
Separatist leader Yasin Malik was arrested today morning and other leaders, including Geelani and Farooq, were placed under house arrest.
Zulfiqar Hassan IG, CRPF while appealing to local militants to surrender has said, “I will like to make it clear that our operations against militants will not stop.”
Former Chief Minister Omar Abdullah blames Mehbooba Mufti for rising in the number of Kashmiri youth joining the ranks of militant organizations. He said, “Creations of the post-Burhan Wani rage, most of the militants killed yesterday were new recruits.”
Chief Minister Mufti has expressed grief over the death of civilians and paid tributes to the Army personnel killed during the operation.