The Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) on Friday said that the debate between US President Donald Trump and Democratic challenger Joe Biden has been officially cancelled.
The Commission said both campaigns had announced alternate plans for that date.
“CPD announced that for the health and safety of all involved, the second presidential debate, scheduled for October 15 in Miami, would be conducted virtually. Subsequently, the campaigns of the two candidates who qualified for participation in the debate made a series of statements concerning their respective positions regarding their willingness to participate in a virtual debate on October 15, and each now has announced alternate plans for that date,” according to the statement.
“It is now apparent there will be no debate on October 15, and the CPD will turn its attention to preparations for the final presidential debate scheduled for October 22,” the commission said.
The commission had earlier announced that the October 15 debate will take virtually out of an abundance of caution because Trump had tested positive for the coronavirus.
President Trump announced last Friday that he had tested positive for COVID-19 and spent three days hospitalized receiving treatment before being released on Monday.
Trump said he would not participate in a debate in virtual format.