Twenty-one Indian fishermen, who were stranded in Iran for more than six months have been released and will be repatriated in batches from August 3, said External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
“I am happy to inform that 21 Indian fishermen from Tamil Nadu who were stranded at Nakhitaghi (Iran) have been released with the efforts of Indian Embassy in Iran and our Consulate at Bandar Abbas. We are repatriating them to Chennai in batches starting from 3rd August 2018,” Swaraj Tweeted.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami had last month urged Prime Minister Narendra Modi to direct the Indian Embassy in Iran to take required steps in bringing back the 21 fishermen.
“The 21 fishermen were engaged in fishing in three boats which belonged to their Iranian employers. They had not received a fair remuneration for the same and also their request of return to India was turned down”, K Palaniswami had said.