10 dead, several feared trapped after four-storey building collapses in Mumbai

60

Ten people were killed and several others were feared trapped after a four-storey residential building collapsed in south Mumbai’s congested Dongri area on Tuesday.

National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) teams are at the site, looking for survivors.

“To speed up the rescue operation one more #NDRF team mobolised. Total 3 teams deployed,” NDRF said in a tweet.

Fire brigade, Mumbai Police and civic officials were also rushed to the site but the constricted lanes made it difficult to access the area.

According to the report, seven people have been rescued so far from the incident.

Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis said authorities are focussing on rescuing those who are trapped and that an enquiry will be launched to find the cause behind the collapse.

“Currently our prime focus is on rescue efforts. After going into all details I will announce enquiry,” Fadnavis said.

“Around 15 families were residing there. As per the preliminary information, it is a 100 year old building and a developer was appointed by the residents. We are further looking into all the aspects,” Fadnavis added.